Editor’s Forum

After spending my winter break at home in Macau, Special Administration Region (SAR), I found that the relationship between my parents and me has changed; we’re more like friends now and our relationship has never been this good.

I had an OK relationship with my parents growing up. However, I was mostly afraid of them, not because they were strict or abusive (they never were), but I guess it was some sort of respect or feeling of inferiority toward them.

My parents have given me an awesome and memorable childhood, especially after my sister was born. With a sister I had a companion, someone I would fight with at times, but who I loved to death, no matter what.

My relationship with my parents became worse in my early teens. My parents’ attention and affection became so overwhelming to me, making me turn away from them.

It wasn’t like I wanted to leave home because I’ve never thought about that, but I just couldn’t seem to agree with them on anything and we had stupid little fights every once in a while.

I had my little silly strategies, which I thought were some genuine ideas back then, to go against my parents’ will.

When I was 14 years old, I wanted to quit playing the piano after I’d been playing for nine years. My parents didn’t want me just to drop it, because they said it would help build my determination later on in my life (which it really did).

My strategy was to do badly in school, so my grades would drop, and since my parents cared about my studies the most, aside from my health, they might let me quit.

It worked. My parents gave in, but so did I. I picked up playing the piano again and it’s all because of one talk my parents and I had, which I will never forget.

They told me that I was at a mature age and responsible for my own actions and behavior. I was being too childish, my parents said, for giving up my studies to try and get what I wanted. They told me that I have to finish whatever I’ve started.

That talk hit me. I felt so ashamed even though my parents didn’t scold me or raise their voices at me throughout the talk. I knew that from then on, I had to be responsible.

Ever since, then the relationship between my parents and me started to get better since then and ironically, it’s even better now after I came to the United States, about 10,000 miles away from home.

I’ve finally realized that almost everything my parents do is for my sister’s and my sake. Also, having experienced different things that have happened, on my own have made me think and grow up a lot.

My parents have always tried to save every penny they could, so that my sister and I would have the opportunity to study abroad, and that’s a total dream come true for me.

I have people who asked me if I feel miserable being so far away from home. Well, sometimes I do feel lonely, but I guess it would have been more miserable if I never had a chance to study abroad.

I am very grateful for what my parents have done for me. Had they not had that talk with me, I might not even be here, doing whatever I am doing right now.

My parents have also taught me that I have to learn to be content and satisfied with what I have in my life, and my parents also explained the importance of always reminding myself of the differences among greed, wants and goals. They said this will help me be a happy person, living a fulfilling and meaningful life.

Well, I am happy and grateful for everything I have in my life; and I truly believe that I am one of the luckiest people on earth.

Kung is in her third semester with the Union. The weekly forum does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board.