Free COVID vaccines distributed at Winter Vaccine Festival

Philosophy Professor Roberto Garcia received his booster shot on Thursday, Dec.2 during the Vax Winter Festival at El Camino College. Photo by Isabella Villatoro/The Union

The Associated Student Organization hosted a festival to aid students and professors in receiving their vaccinations.

The festival took place on Dec. 2 at the Student Services Plaza where Associated Student Organization (ASO) members offered various amenities for those that received their first vaccination dose either during the Vax Winter Festival or before it.

These amenities included free food, games, free El Camino College merch, free vaccines and the possibility to win $300.

“It was to motivate students to get vaccinated, especially since we have our vaccine mandate happening going into effect on Jan. 3, where you’re going to be required to be fully vaccinated for any in-person classes as well as in-person services,” ASO trustee, Karina Ramirez said.

Students and faculty are in line to get their vaccines at the Vax Winter Festival on Thursday Dec. 2 at El Camino College. Photo by Isabella Villatoro/The Union

The Vax Winter Festival was also supposed to make it easier for both students and faculty to get their vaccine doses, in addition to the booster shot.

“We just want to allocate resources for the students to have a place to get vaccines. Sometimes it’s complicated to get vaccines, now with people going to get the boosters. We just wanted to facilitate that process and to let know students that yes, we have this mandate but we’re also providing them the vaccines,” ASO Senator, Kitiza Lopez said.

The vaccination supplies were not limited to COVID shots.

Today we’re offering all three of the COVID vaccines. So, we have Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Pfitzer. We are going to offer the initial shot, second dose, and the boosters as well. We’re also offering the Flu vaccine.“ Health Services representative, Jason Carroll said.

From left to right: El Camino College students Jacob Ramirez, Daniel Garcia, and Armando Castillo play basketball in The Vax Winter Festival at ECC on  Photo by Isabella Villatoro/The Union.
From left to right: El Camino College students, Jacob Ramirez, Daniel Garcia, and Armando Castillo play basketball during the Vax Winter Festival at ECC on Thursday, Dec. 2. Photo by Isabella Villatoro/The Union.