Wellness Wednesday workshop focuses on test anxiety

The Student Health Center hosted one of their series of Wellness Wednesday workshops on Wednesday, March 7, focusing on how students can deal with test anxiety

Victoria Kwon, a staff psychologist for El Camino College, provided tips for students.

A study taken during the presentation showed that people eat (mostly crunchy foods), sleep, shower, or exercise when they are stressed.

According to Kwon, Before a test, students feel “anxious, nervous, tired and confident.” During a test, students feel “forgetful, nervous and impatient.” After a test, students feel “relieved, nervous and impatient.”

Kwon suggests to deal with test anxiety students should, “put one hand over your heart and the other on your belly and breathe slowly.” You can also close your eyes and imagine yourself somewhere peaceful. Students in the classroom said “the beach or Africa.”

Kwon also noted that common reasons students struggle with test anxiety is due to “procrastination and not studying enough”. To prevent this from happening, “go over material every day, even if you have no plans.” Have others quiz you. With all the hard work, students can reach for that “A.”

Quick Tips:

• Put one hand over your heart and the other on your belly and breathe slowly.
  • Imagine yourself somewhere peaceful.
  • Go over course material every day and have others quiz you.