EC to celebrate Chicano culture with events starting Thursday

A month-long “Celebration of Chicano Culture” is coming to El Camino starting on April 7, according to a flier.

To celebrate, the Office of Staff and Student Diversity, Behavioral & Social Sciences division, Humanities division and Student Equity program are coming together to sponsor seven events featuring chicano history, culture and social progress.

All events are free and open to the public, however, a monthly parking permit or a $3 daily permit is required to park on campus.

Here is the list of events:

• The celebration will start with a lecture from EC professor Jason Suárez on 16th century Mexican codices, on April 7 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. in the Haag Recital Hall.
  • The second lecture will be on “women in Charrería tradition,” on April 14 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. in the East Dining Room.
  • Pasadena City College professor Enrique Orozco will talk about Chicanos in sports on April 18 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. in the East Dining Room.
  • Learn about the characteristics of Mexican Spanish from Cal State Northridge professor Fermín Herrera on April 26 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. in the Distance Education Center room 166.
  • There will be a Mexican music and dance concert presented by the Conjunto Hueyapan, Mariachi Estrella de Jalisco and Nuestras Raíces, on April 26 from 1-2 p.m. in the Marsee Auditorium.
  • A lecture on “Chicanos in the Military,” will be on May 2 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:40 p.m. in the East Dining Room.
  • The last event will on May 3; a lecture from Whittier College professor Danilo Lozano on cultural diversity and identity in Chicano Boyle Heights, from 1-2 p.m. in the Distance Education Center room 166.

For more information, call 310-660-3735.