ASO Vegan Day Festival promotes animal rights and veganism

A Veggie Grill employee served sweet sauce on the plate alongside a buffalo mini wrap, all hail kale salad, santa fe crispy chicken sandwich and chill out wings from the restaurant at the Vegan Day Festival, in front of the Library Lawn. The Vegan Day Festival promoted vegan lifestyles in order to enlighten students about the abuse animals endure. Photo credit: Jorge Villa

Curious attendees gathered around eager to grab a sample from the vibrant, colorful array of free Veggie Grill food before them.

But there was a catch.

Participants had to first answer a question about animal life regarding the environment and if answered correctly were then given a sample of the food.

That was the scene at the Vegan Day Festival, hosted by ASO’s Sustainability Committee on Monday in honor of Vegan Day.

“I can see how this is a substitute for meat,” Milan Sharma, 19, economics major said after he savored the soy-based ‘chicken’. “You can’t tell much of a difference.”

Participants who did not answer questions correctly were directed to the Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM) booth where a representative of the nonprofit organization provided answers.

“We’re here to promote animal rights and promote veganism,” Angie Fitzgerald, FARM representative said.

Wilber Cornejo, 19, ASO Senator of Health Sciences and Athletics helped pitch the idea for Vegan Day and is a vegan himself for ethical reasons.

The vegan diet, Cornejo said, means that “meat” and “seafood” are prohibited for consumption as well as “dairy, eggs and honey.”

In addition, the El Camino Geography and Environmental Conservation club was part of the festival and distributed information on taking care of the environment.

Another vegan, Alex Sutton, 19, economics major, said that the vegan diet is “not as limited as people often think” and that “it’s really sustainable.”

Unlike many vegans, Sutton’s initial reason for becoming vegan was not for animal rights purposes, rather, she had no choice but to adapt to the lifestyle.

“I have a lot of food allergies in general, I became vegan because I can’t digest meat properly, plus, I’m lactose intolerant, so I can’t have dairy,” Sutton said.

At the end of the festival, all the food was finished.

“We’re not here to say that you’re horrible for eating meat, but hey did you know this (alternative) exists?” Stephanie Pedrahita, 19, Co-Chair of the Sustainability Committee said.

“More people came than I expected. I’m very happy how the festival turned out,” Cornejo said.