Sociology Club leads discussion on rape culture

Rape is always an issue in today’s world, but after recent events around campus, discussions about these things need to be made aware.

Which made the timing of EC Sociology Club’s open discussion on rape culture that took place Thursday in the Art and Behavioral Sciences Building more than appropriate.

“My hopes would be (for) more open dialog like this to happen… for people to talk about these issues because we can’t begin to address them and the culture won’t begin to change unless we talk about these things,” president of the Sociology Club Emily Ploch, 21, sociology major, said.

The discussion ranged from topics such as Bill Cosby’s alleged rapes to the retracted Rolling Stone article detailing the alleged rape of a student at the University of Virginia.

Regarding the goal of the discussion, Kacie Riordan, 20, sociology major, hoped the club “could help end rape culture and make a contribution and let people know how bad it is.”

Even though only seven women and one man were in attendance, the club still viewed the discussion as a success.

“I only wish that more people had been present,” Torsha Ray, 18, business and administration major, said. “Because people who are aware of rape culture are not the ones who should be having discussions about rape culture.”