EC Talent Show searches for next big star

The Maharlika Club, Inter-Club Council and SGI Buddhism Club invite all students with talent to audition for the upcoming EC Talent Show.

Auditions for the talent show will be hosted on March 25 in the Student Activities Center, according to a flier promoting the event.

The flier also informs students to bring proper student identification if they plan to try out.

Lewis Kingman, 25, psychology major and Vice President of the Maharlika Club (the Filipino Club), said the Maharlika Club, ICC and SGI Buddhism Club are all heading the EC Talent Show.

Auditions for the talent show are publicly open for anyone to watch, he said, and judges are welcoming all kinds of talent.

“All we’re looking for is something that’s school appropriate,” Kingman said. “Something that’ll potentially appeal to the audience.”

When asked about what is a “school appropriate” performance, Kingman said that the judges are trying to avoid performances that may offend the audience.

“If it deems too offensive, then (the judges will) tell the performer to alter it,” he said. “(If they don’t) we can’t allow them to perform.”

Winners of the talent show will also receive prizes, but Kingman said that those have not yet been determined.

Manami Koizumi, 19, psychology major and President of the SGI Buddhist Club, said that refreshments will also be served at the event.

“We’re planning to serve bags of chips and soda cans from the Coca-Cola Company,” said Koizumi.

Koizumi is hoping that the talent show will give EC students a chance to gather and support each other.

“I would love for the Talent Show to be an event where many students can gather and bond to get to know each other more,” Koizumi said. “Where each student can encourage each other to further shine with their talents.”

All of the clubs are aiming for a big turnout and plan to, if the event is successful, make it an annual event, Kingman said.

“Tell your friends,” he added. “Tell everyone that wants to go, and we’ll make this an event to remember.”

Auditions for the EC Talent Show start on March 25 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., and the show will be hosted on April 3 from 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Both will be located in the East Lounge of the Student Activities Center.