Off-campus Wi-Fi an alternative for students

Having a reliable source of Wi-Fi on campus can have its difficulties as it can be unreliable at times. However, with restaurants across the street, mostly on Crenshaw, it may be beneficial in solving the connection problem.

Access to the Internet is difficult to receive while hanging out on campus or in classrooms. However, students have a better chance with connecting to EC Wi-Fi off campus at the eateries than they do at school.

“As soon as I cross the street I get connection,” Enisha Blackman, 19, administrative justice major, said. “But when I get on campus I have no connection at all, like none.”

With the over crowded library and outdated software, the community computers can be faulty when it comes to Internet connection. Nevertheless, students have trouble receiving connection to the Internet in some areas from Wi-Fi hotspots.

“I can get on but it won’t refresh when I am on the Internet or Instagram,” Chanel Janmott, 19, nursing major said.

According to elcamino.edu, Wi-Fi accessibility on campus is only designated in specific areas. However, many buildings on that are listed as hotspots either have little or no Wi-Fi connection for laptops and smartphones.

“The Wi-Fi is unreliable and even the buildings that do have Wi-Fi is still weak,” Brianna Grantley, 20, sociology major said.

Connecting off campus can be easier not only for EC Wi-Fi but also other Wi-Fi sources across the street from the campus. Restaurants like McDonalds, Subway, Chicken Maison, and Bonello’s have Wi-Fi connections students can use.

“I just go in the library when I want to use Wi-Fi,” Isaiah Harris, 20, film major said.“The Wi-Fi should be everywhere, but it’s kinda hard to do with all the servers.”

With restaurants having Wi-Fi accessibility, students then have the option to stay on campus to do schoolwork or go to lunch while being able to do the same with the use of Wi-Fi for their work.

Blackman says while on campus she can’t connect because “the Wi-Fi on campus is horrible. It never works. I try to connect but it disconnects me.”

Students knowing the different places on and off campus to connect to the Internet can help cut down on the over crowded library and sitting areas here at El Camino.

“There’s no point of being on Wi-Fi here if the connection isn’t strong,” Grantley said.

Due to moving location the Information Technology Services was unable to comment.