Classified Employee Week to feature Creative Hobby Showcase

In honor of classified employee week a Creative Hobby Showcase will take place on May 16 at 2 p.m., which is exclusively for classified employees that would like to display their creative work.

During Classified Employee Week, which takes place May 13-17, classified employees will have the opportunity to show any creative hobbies that they may have. These specific employees may be noticed but are not often recognized or even looked at as more than just someone who answers telephones. The general purpose of the showcase is to give the entire campus an insight of who these employees really are.

“We want people to see us as a whole person, that we’re not just the person sitting behind the desk answering the phone or typing,” Debbie Turano, ECC classified representative, said. “We do other things, we have other creative outlets.

With this showcase, students and faculty alike will be able to view these creative works and see a different side to these employees.

“It gives them an opportunity to show what they do and share it with other employees, faculty, staff and students,” Turano said. “Maybe answer their questions and get other people involved in the hobby that they enjoy.”

Some students on campus like Crystal Rodriguez, 19, photography major, are interested in seeing what these employees will decide to share with the campus.

“It would kind of cool to see what they do other than being the people we pass by on the way to classes.” Crystal Rodriguez, 19, photography major, said. “It’s nice that they’re being recognized because people really don’t know them.”

In the past there has been crochet, photography, jewelry and other creative hobbies.

“It’s a hobby showcase to highlight some of our classified staff have, so they can display the things that they create and the things that they do,” Turano said.

Students also see this showcase as an opportunity for them to learn a few new things about different hobbies and the employees.

“I’m all for anything creative so it would be a good way to learn new things and see what the staff can do,” Irene Silva, 23, art major, said. “We should have one of these for students and teachers as well, it would nice to see all the creativity on campus.”

The showcase will take place in the Student Activities Center in the East Lounge. This showcase will give classified employees the ability to display a part of themselves that might otherwise not be seen by students, faculty or other staff members.

“I think its a good opportunity to see the talent that we have on campus and share it with others,” Turano said.