Consultant firm to assist with recruitment of next EC president

After much debate, the board of trustees have agreed to hire a consultant firm to assist the human resources department with the recruitment of EC’s next president.

In November, EC President, Tom Fallo announced during a board meeting that he was retiring effective June 30.

Of the 11 consultant firm submissions, the board voted on three to choose from: Professional Personnel Leasing (PPL), Community College Search Services (CCSS) and Ralph Andersen and Associates.

Tom Fallo, EC president said he thinks of the choices as “three reputable firms.”

Linda Beam, vice president for human resources, said they would benefit from the help as it would serve as an additional source. She also clarified that the job of the firm would be to act as a liaison and not run the search.

“The firm would facilitate a process. They would do a lot of outreach on behalf of the district and go out and recruit,” Beam said.

Beam also added that using the firm during the selection process should not be seen as “being handed over to a third party”  as these firms are objective and provide an insight.

Although Ray Gen didn’t think additional help was needed, he said choosing the best firm would depend on the direction the college is looking to take.

“If our goal is to make big changes to take the college in a new direction, then a big national search is where we are headed,” Gen said. “If we like the direction we are taking, I don’t think we need a national search. We should be looking closer to home. Frankly, in my opinion, I like the direction our college is headed, president Fallo has done a great job.”

Mary C. Combs, trustee member expressed her concern as to whether the human resources department had a qualified person that could do the job as efficiently without the help of the firm.

Ken Brown, board of trustees vice president, said he is more concerned about having a large amount of candidates to select from as well as “not breaking the bank.” He also said that although he does agree with the help, he is unsure of what areas human resources will need assistance in.

Jasmine Hormati, student trustee, suggested possibly having the firm assist with a specific task rather than the entire candidate selection process itself.

The three firms will be in attendance at the Jan. 16 board meeting where they will pitch their proposals to the board.

“I’m interested in saving money, I’m interested in experience and I’m interested in California community college experience,” William Beverly, board of trustees president said.

Karen Garcia contributed to this article.