Medieval hands-on display today

Students will be given a chance to have a hands-on experience on historical armaments during a medieval weaponry presentation at Social Sciences, Room 205, today at 1 p.m.

Edgar Pacas, adjunct history professor, said the presentation on weaponry will focus more on on the early British history like the Vikings, Romans and among others with the use of his personal collections of replicated artifacts from the era.

“It is a unique opportunity for students to feel, see and experience how heavy the weapons are,” Florence Baker, history professor, said.

“In a museum or elsewhere, you will never get the chance to lift a sword,” Baker added.

Pacas said that the presentation will not only showcase the weapons and armors, but also the factors that influenced their development and refinement.

“Aside from the armor and weapons, we will also discuss how they were made, the historical importance of these weapons, the military technology behind them and their political implications and significance,” Pacas said.

Baker said that Pacas is knowledgeable of the evolution of weaponry and had done a number of presentations about it in the past.

Paul Hiraoka, 42, psychology major, said that these presentations had been very popular and  well received.

“Usually, all the seats are filled and it is almost standing room only,” Hiraoka said. “In his (Pacas) presentations, there is room for everyone. He does it in way that affects general interest, not only for historians.”

The event is free and open to everyone. It is sponsored by Baker and the History Club.

“In order to be a good historian, in order to understand history, it is important to have a good historical imagination,” Baker said. “It is one thing to be able to say ‘a battle occurred’ and this is the outcome on such a date,’  but to be able to imagine it through the mind and seeing it, it will help them bring the facts to life.”

Baker encouraged students to attend.

“It will give them better understanding. The enthusiasm and knowledge of Mr. Pacas will bring an opportunity for everyone to experience and appreciate history,” Baker added.