Students wait in long lines to purchase required textbooks

When buying textbooks last minute, it is no surprise that everyone is racing to get the last used copy on the shelf as it is always priced lower than the newer versions.

“I literally almost tackled down a girl the other day just because I thought she had taken the last copy of the book I needed,” Vanesa Sanchez, 22, art history major said.

Some students like Elizabeth Benitez, 18, undeclared major said that the prices of textbooks keeps increasing.

“I’m seriously going poor, like not even broke, legitimately poor and crazy, both my math and English books were the most expensive ones,” she said. “Just for those two [books] it was more than $100,” Benitez said.

It seems the lines to purchase textbooks are extremely long and don’t seem shorten anytime soon.

“The lines were terribly long, I felt I wasn’t going to make it to one of my classes on time, if I had to I would have probably missed it just so I wouldn’t have to wait in line again,” Alex Wright, 20, undeclared major said.

Many students have been complaining that some of their textbooks aren’t in the bookstore, giving them no other options than to purchase them elsewhere. Some of the places students turn to are Half.com, Chegg.com, which they say is much cheaper, but the only downside is that you have to wait for them to arrive by mail.

Other available options are the bookstore located across campus, located on Crenshaw Boulevard.

“One of the cashiers told me that they ran out of a lot of textbooks only a day after the first day of classes so they had a giant shortage” Benitez said.