Warriors say goodbye to slain friend and former EC football player

Idaho football player and former EC student, Ken McRoyal, was shot and killed during a party for the launching of a women’s clothing line, according to USA Today..

According to ESPN L.A, the suspect and motives have yet to be determined. McRoyal, a New Orleans native, moved to California with his family after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005. He attended EC for two seasons as a walk-on wide receiver.

The pain of losing McRoyal is being felt in Idaho as well as in California as he leaves behind a 1-year-old daughter.

As soon as the news hit, students, friends and family gathered on campus for a candlelight vigil. Jahrie Level, wide receiver, played with McRoyal during the summer of 2011.

He said that McRoyal was very passionate about life and his goal was to pursue a professional football career.

“He was a great guy to be around. He was always smiling and laughing,” Level said. “He was a very talented football player and had a great passion for the game.”

Level recalls moments where McRoyal would often talk about his hometown.

“He would always talk about how he was going to do (well) for his city,” he said.

Raynard Westbrook, former EC football player and current player at the University of Central Oklahoma, played with McRoyal for the two seasons he attended EC.

Westbrook says that the two of them would often meet up at EC to see old friends and coaches.

“We would come up here and work out together and bring stuff from our schools. It’s weird not having him around,” he said.

According to CBS News, police detectives are doing what they can to find the person responsible for the death of McRoyal.

“He was an all-around great guy and a great dad,” Westbrook said. “He was my best friend. I love him and I miss him. I wish he was with me right now.”