Debaters display brilliance

The novice team swept up their competition at the “Double-up” Tournament last weekend at Concordia University.

Overall, the forensics team placed first among community colleges and second among colleges and universities.

“I did not expect it all,” Francesca Bishop, forensics team coach, said.

“Our novice team closed out meaning that the final four teams that reached semifinals were all EC novice teams,” she added.

Bishop said, after the “Warm-up” Tournament, that she did not think the team was going to be as good as the previous semester due to facing various  issues, including having a smaller team and facing the recent budget cuts

However, Bishop added that she now she has high expectations of her team for the rest of the season.

“After this weekend, if most of the novices do well, they will have to go up to junior division because they will have used up their novice eligibility,” Bishop said.

With the team already with two trophies this season, it looks to get better and improve as a team as the debaters get deeper into the season.

“It was an insane amount of fun and very challenging,” Nick Walden, 20,sociology major, said

“I need to practice more and do as many practice rounds as I can. As far as individual speaking, I need to record myself and hear myself speak more,” he added.

The team’s next stop will be at Pasadena City College for the two-day Watson-Lancer Invitational on Saturday and Sunday.

“I think we’re going to do very well for the rest of the tournaments. Everyone here is really talented and dedicated,” Aubrey Manahan, 18, international business major, said.

“Our coaches are the best,” she added.”