Gay Straight Alliance Club celebrates “Coming Out Day”

Having the fear of being judged is what keeps some people from being open about their sexuality.  While not all of society is accepting of people’s different lifestyles, some choose to show their support by celebrating National Coming Out Day.

National Coming Out Day is today and the Gay Straight Alliance Club (GSA) on campus encourages everyone no matter if they’re lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or even straight, to join today’s meeting which will take place in the Art Building, Room 338 at 1 p.m.

GSA President, Edlin Burciaga, 19, said the meeting would consist of coming out stories and even a workshop for everyone to part take in.

“What we want everyone to know is that it’s not only for gay people, we are not biased and we treat everyone with equality,” Burciaga said. “We are going to have a lot of information about hotlines and websites. We are going to have people share their experiences about when they came out and if it was a good experience or not and we will answer any questions.”

While some believe that only the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community celebrates this day, other people who are supporters, often called allies, think that it should be celebrated in order to show support for the equal rights of all people.

“I support this day, one’s sexual orientation doesn’t make one any less human, Jennifer Santos, 19, criminal justice major, said. “I think it’s great that more people are starting to feel confident with themselves and to show society who they truly are and not feel afraid or ashamed.”

Adela Franco, GSA club member encourages attendees to wear purple today, as it is the coming out color. Franco also hopes that people realize that coming out day is not always easy for a lot of people.

“The gay community has progressed but people are still struggling with telling their families. It’s easier now to come out than it was then, but it is still hard for some,” Franco said.

Burciaga said the GSA club wants everyone who attends these meetings to leave feeling a bit more supported.

“We hope that everybody knows that they are not alone and that everyone at GSA will help and that people will support them,” she said. “We just think everyone should be comfortable in their own skin and be proud of who they are.”