Forensics team wins 17 awards, second in nation at national event

While others may have been lounging by the pool over spring break, the EC forensics team traveled to Connecticut to compete in the Phi Rho Pi National Tournament, where they took home the first place title in debate and the second place title in the nation overall.

The tournament had 398 students from 58 community colleges throughout the country.

EC dominated as they took home 17 awards total. Three gold and two bronze in parliamentary debate, two gold and three silver in Lincoln Douglas (LD) debate, gold in oral interpretation, two gold in extemporaneous speaking, silver in impromptu, and bronze in speech to entertain.

“I think that the surprising thing was the margin by what we beat the other schools by,” Francesca Bishop, forensics coach, said. “It was pretty impressive, we left them in a bloody pulp on the floor.”

The EC debate team has had a successful year, taking home first place in state as well, while they were ranked the No. 1 community college in the nation, according to the National Parliamentary Debate Association.

“This was a lot different than state; it was a long nine day tournament with five days of non-stop competing,” Shannon Merideth, 19, communications major, said. “We are exhausted, but it was well worth it.”

Merideth placed gold in parliamentary debate with partner Mark Faaita, gold in LD, and took home the Fish Nelson award, which is an award that the entire tournament votes on to who they think best represents the finest qualities in their respective events.

“We all get along so well which reflects on our success, we all support each other,” Merideth said.

Ben Porter, 18, political science and philosophy major, placed bronze in debate.

“State gave us a good preparation because a lot of the California schools are really big powerhouses,” Porter said. “State was actually a lot hard than nationals because of that.”

Whitney Gamble, 22, mass communications major, placed gold in oral interpretation where she did a piece about lyrics in the music industry and how our youth needs better role models.

“I act as a career outside of El Camino, so this is a perfect way for me to get my acting classes and practice my character development without having to play a ton of money for acting coaches,” Gamble said.

At nationals last year, Gamble placed in silver in oral interpretation, so meeting her goal in placing gold this year was accomplished.

“It still hasn’t really sunk in that I placed in gold,” Gamble said. “Being the only girl to take gold in my event, it’s really awesome.”

“We have people on this team that are really passionate about what they are doing,” Gamble said. “We are doing this because it’s fun to us and when you enjoy what you are doing, you just naturally want to be the best at it.”