Board of Governors visits campus

Interested in experiencing the life of an EC student firsthand, the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges had its annual meeting Monday and Tuesday on campus.
The board, which is appointed by the governor and is in charge of ensuring the quality and effectiveness of college operations and creating and implementing policies, also took a tour of the campus.
“One of the main reasons we’re here today is to take a look at student life,” Robert McDonald, board member, said. “We wanted to take a look at one of the premier campuses in the system, but also come and see some of the programs, meet students and share some of the things we’re doing statewide.”
Of the 112 community colleges in California, EC was recommended by the chancellor using criteria such as geographic location, types of programs, population and where the board has met previously, Valerie Purnell, assistant vice chancellor for federal relations, said.
Board members were guided through the campus, stopping at various buildings such as the site of the new 105,000-square-foot Math, Business and Health Sciences Building, which should be opening in spring 2012.
Steve Bruckman, executive vice chancellor for internal operations and general council, called the campus “very well kept.” Other members, such as Purnell, were impressed hearing the curriculum being taught upon leaving presentations given in the Humanities Building.
“The journalism department was really quite impressive,” Purnell said. “I love the focus being on an entrepreneurial approach because we’ve all seen recently that you can’t always depend upon an employer providing an opportunity for you to take care of yourself and your family.”
From the Humanities Building, the board visited the Planetarium, where it quickly became impressed with the technological features of the college.
“The projector we have in the Planetarium is second to none,” Jeanie Nishime, vice president of student and community advancement, said. “Many universities don’t have that kind of equipment.”
Members also set time aside on their agenda to discuss the impact of the college’s Mathematics, Engineering, Science, Achievement (MESA) Program. Established in 1999, the program is funded in part by the state. Since 2005, MESA students have received $404,000 in scholarship funds.
“I think they’re very impressed with the success of our students who go through the MESA program,” Nishime said. “It’s important because that program receives some state funding and they need to know how helpful the state support has been.”