Psychology Club hosts Q and A with LAPD officer

In an effort to inform students on possible career options in psychology, EC’s Psychology Club hosted a presentation by a Los Angeles Police Department psychologist today, Nov. 2, Shantel Thornton, psychology professor, said.
Although the speaker canceled 10 minutes before the meeting due to a family emergency, the event transitioned into a question and answer session by LAPD officer Robert Berry, 27, Psychology Club vice president.
“I like to educate people on the realities of this career,” Berry said. “With this presentation, I wanted to break down the walls and misconceptions of police officers that the majority of young adults have.”
The club officers transitioned the focus of the meeting to Berry’s experiences instead of the original planned discussion on the career of a psychologist who works with police officers.
“There are two main offices for the LAPD and at each location there are 10 to 12 psychologists for 3,000 or more police officers,” Berry said, answering a question asked by the audience.
The LAPD mandates that officers see a psychologist if they are involved with categorical use of force such as exerting excessive force to catch an alleged suspect. Officers must also see a psychologist if they shoot a person, Berry said.
“The meeting was informative. I learned a few things I didn’t know,” Julieta Contreras, 27, psychology major and club member said. “There is a large discrepancy in the officer to psychologist ratio and I think they definitely need more psychologists.”
For the last month and a half, the vice president and president of the club worked closely with the their club advisers to prepare the special meeting, Veronica Calkins, 20, psychology major and club president, said.
“Because of the sudden cancellation, Rob had to do more than expected,” Thornton said. “We are very proud of him and how he handled the questions and shared his own personal experiences.”
Because of a mostly male dominated career and the tough stereotype common of many police officers, it is difficult for officers who need psychological help to step forward, Berry said.
“I would like to see more positive reinforcement and treatment toward seeking help for traumatic experiences,” Berry said.