Fundraiser at the Marsee will raise money for cancer

Teens Against Cancer (TAC) will be hosting the Second Annual Teen Variety Show at the Marsee Auditorium on June 25. The money raised will be donated for pediatric cancer patients at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital, Jennifer Matsui, 17, TAC president, said.
Eighty percent of the money raised will go to the Derek Hoffman Rhabdomyosarcoma Research Fund. Ten percent will go to the MD Anderson Reading Program and another 10 percent will go to Make-A-Wish Foundation.
“MD Anderson’s Reading Program is run by a single man who goes around to patients and gives them books and reads to them,” Matsui said.
The concept of TAC came about in 2001, when Jennifer’s 5-year-old cousin, Derek, was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma cancer.
Jennifer and her mother, Candice Matsui, read an article about a group of doctors who hosted a luncheon to raise money for their patients and liked the idea.
“I told my mom that it was a good idea and I thought, ‘Why can’t I raise money for Derek,'” Jennifer said.
Consequently, the Matsui family hosted a luncheon in front of their house and invited neighbors. The money that was raised was donated to Hoffman’s hospital.
That was nine years ago, and every year with the help of her family and friends, Jennifer, along with TAC which was formed along the way, has organized fundraisers.
TAC was formed by teenagers, most of who are Jennifer’s friends and are still in high school and volunteer their time.
“We got started by word of mouth, we told family, friends, friends of friends and we’ve managed to continue growing throughout the years,” Jennifer said.
A block party followed after the luncheon, and after that a sold-out performance at the James Armstrong Theatre in Torrance. Since the fee at the Armstrong Theatre was too expensive, the variety show was then moved to Marsee Auditorium and was sponsored by Iota Kappa Chi, the EC nursing club, to have the rental fee waived.
“Last year at the Marsee Auditorium, we gathered a group of performers from around the South Bay, including West, Palos Verdes, Peninsula, and Redondo Union high schools,” Jennifer said. “With their help, along with other volunteers, we were able to fundraise a total of $12,000.”
This year, the lineup of teen performers will once again include dancers, singers and actors from concert pianists to duets, ballet, hula dancing, to glee clubs.
Last year, T-shirts and donated hand-made pottery were sold at the show to help pay for labor fees of the show.
Hoffman’s aunt, Candice Matsui said that his mother is very proud and thankful for TAC and that she is amazed that TAC has continued conducting the fundraisers every year.
“What’s really incredible about TAC, is that the teens don’t get any credit or recognition but every year they keep coming back and it is truly their desire to help the pediatric cancer patients and to make a difference,” Matsui said.
Tickets may be purchased at the Marsee Auditorium ticket office for $10 starting on Monday.