Circle K hosts fundraiser for cancer

Raising an estimated $600, the Circle K Club hosted a charity ball Friday night for the pediatric department at St. Mary’s Hospital in Long Beach, Lisa Nena, 20, Circle K president, said.
Located between the Gardena Police Department and the fire station, the charity ball was at the Ken Nakaoka Community Center in Gardena.
Inside the Center, purple tablecloths and construction paper outlines of the New York skyline transformed the room.
“The theme for this event was a ‘Night in New York,'” Monique Rodriguez, 22, sociology major, said. Rodriguez was the chairperson in charge of the committee planning the ball.
Cabinet members of the club worked closely with each other to host the ball as a great way for new members to gain leadership skills, Rodriguez said.
For example, their new treasurer Shia Ahmed, 18, biology major, suggested this charity event.
“The Circle K Foundation focuses on the importance of the future, and children in particular, because they are the future,” Nena said. “This neo-natal department needs more of everything, from proper treatment education to information about newborn care.”
Choosing a local charity helped motivate people to donate to this cause, Daniel Valdivia, 20, biology major, said.
The Community Center itself was a venue borrowed for free from the Hermosa Beach Kiwanis organization.
“We always say that we’re less like a club and more like a family,” Nena said.
“We’ve been playing with the idea for this event since last semester and finally the last two months have been working hard to get it into action,”he said.
More events like a ball where people have fun and help charities should be organized Manushi Weerasinghe, 19, psychology major, said.
“This event made me realize how important it is to give back to your community,” Weerasinghe said. “It has been a great experience and I’ve met so many people through this.”
Members and friends enjoyed a night of great food, friends, music, a dance performance, and even an auction.
In the auction, members of the cabinet offered an array of services they would provide, in exchange for donations for the charity.
“I like to eat, so that was one of my main services,” Ahmed said. One of the services he offered was having an eating contest with the bid winner.
The event is a tradition that Circle K members often use to raise more funds for the charities, Nena said.
Due to its effectiveness in raising funds, the auction was chosen.
“We also had a talent show to showcase some of the talents which our members have, and entertain our audience,” Valdivia said.
Johnny Arcangel and Jason Devisfruto choreographed their own dance to a mix of top 40 songs.
Mena and Valdivia, along with many other members of the cabinet, were relieved that the night went well.
A great environment with people having fun made this event worth it, Valdivia said.
There is always so much more to look for ward to, Mena said.