Campus offers green oportunities

Southern California Edison (SCE) has donated $100,000 to the college for green training programs for students interested in green related programs, Dr. Stephanie Rodriguez, dean of industry and technology, said.
EC is one of 10 colleges participating in the newly launched Green Jobs Education Initiative that will receive $100,000 through scholarships.
“Green Jobs Education Initiative funding will provide scholarships for dozens of students, each of whom will be rewarded $1,000 per year for a minimum of two years based on financial need and a GPA of 2.0 or higher,” Rodriguez, said.
Training programs include study of solar panel installation, water and wastewater management, transportation, alternative fuels, biofuels production and farming and environmental compliance and sustainability planning.
“I am excited about this new project. This is something that will benefit me in so many ways,” Blake Barnes, 19, air conditioning and refrigeration major, said.
The program first started last fall and it really took off this semester. Pledges were made by individuals and corporations to support the scholarship-all dedicated to help serve students with financial needs.
“Notices go out through the foundation and it goes on as long as colleges are able to manage,” Rodriguez said.
Support for the Osher initiative has been mounting since its launch last summer, with contributors now totaling $700,000 toward the college’s overall $1 million goal.
“A matching of funds had to be raised for the Bernard Osher Foundation,” she said.
Rodriquez encourages students to keep an eye out for more information on the EC Web site for more information and new opportunities coming soon.