Remaining vaccinations to be offered

With only 80 students showing up to the free HINI clinic Monday, the Health Center is now offering the remaining 20 vaccines to the campus.

Since all 100 vaccines were not used, students who were not able to attend the H1N1 Outreach Clinic have a second chance to walk-in and receive the vaccine, Debbie Conover of the Student Health Center said.

To receive the vaccine, students are required to have their student ID’s with them and be currently registered so they can be eligible to receive the vaccine.

Students must also go through a screening process in preparation to receive the vaccine.

The paperwork then has to be reviewed by the Health Center staff before getting the vaccine.

“The entire process takes about fifteen to twenty minutes,” Conover said.

Cindy Aguilar, 19, anthropology major, was in line to get the H1N1 vaccine and made sure she got it so she can to be healthy during this pandemic.

While students get the H1N1 vaccine, they also get a vaccine fact sheet regarding the different side affects to the vaccine which are least likely to take place.

“It’s very rare. I have had a lot of flu vaccinations in the past and I didn’t have any trouble,” Shirley Vong, 20, English major, said.

The fact that the vaccine was given free was why a lot of students decided to come out and take advantage.

“I think it’s pretty good for students who can’t afford going to the hospital,” Brandon James, 30, nursing major said.

Since this pandemic is increasing nationwide, there are plans of another outreach clinic in the future that will also be free of charge.

“We have an arrival of 100 doses out of 1,500 ordered. There is no information yet as to when they will be available to be, given to students,”Conover said.

” It (when the next doses come in) will definitely be posted on the Student Health Services Web site,” Conover said.

Students must go and click on the Health Services tab which will bring them to the Health Services home page.

Conover also encourages students to watch the video on the Web page called the “Pandemic Education and Prevention Video” which will help inform students on what the H1N1 virus is where vaccines also are provided.