Proposal to bring major changes to campus

Under the new Facilities Master Plan, EC will be a more environmentally friendly and student-centered campus, if the plan is approved by the board of trustees in January, Bob Gann, director of facilities planning and services said.

“We have been working with various campus groups in developing the new facilities master plan. We have had campus-wide meetings, for people to discuss it. What we have come up with is what we have termed our ‘Preferred Option,'” Gann said.

Now the financial component of the plan is being worked through, but nothing will be decided until the plan is presented to the board of trustees, possibly at its January meeting, Gann said.

“One of the major changes that is going to be made is the construction of another parking structure on the north side of campus,” Gann said.

Since most of the student parking is on the south and east perimeters of campus, students don’t have access to the classroom load on the north side, Gann said.

“It would be nice to have more parking where the classrooms actually are, so that people don’t have to plan to walk for like fifteen minutes, and maybe get to class on time,” Sumayyah Khan, 18, biology major, said.

One area of campus that will have a lot of changes is the athletics facilities.

“The biggest (change) is going to be the consolidation of our running track into our stadium to make it a single venue. Also, we will be getting a new pool,” Gann said.

Another big change would be the relocation of the Student Services Center.

“First-time students and sometimes just students in general can’t find our Students Services Center. So what we will be doing is moving the Students Services Center out closer to Manhattan Beach Boulevard, building a parking area, and a drive-in and turn around immediately adjacent to the building, so that it is on the perimeter of the campus and people could find it much easier,” Gann said.

Some of the buildings that are more than 50 years old will be reconstructed and will be more energy efficient, Gann said.

“We are hoping that more energy efficient buildings will reduce our utility costs, which comes out of the general fund. It will relieve some of the drain on that budget,” Gann said. “(The money saved on utilities) would free (money) for other programs.”

One component that would save the college a lot of money is the equipment that is in the buildings, like air conditioning and heating equipment, Gann said.

“That will all be modern technology that uses much more efficient motors with digital controls so there is increased ability to control the operation of that equipment,” Gann said.