Campus hosts Latin American Student Conference

Scholars of EC and other higher education institutions from across the U.S., attended the Pacific Coast Council on Latin American Studies’ (PCCLAS) annual conference last Friday and Saturday, hosted on EC’s campus.
The conference, in its fiftieth year, was coordinated by the college’s art professor and PCCLAS’ executive board member, Ali Ahmadpour, and vice president of academic affairs, Francisco Arce.
“I come to these conferences to keep up with my field and share my scholarship,” John-Paul Wilson of St. John’s University in New York said.
Panel discussions were held simultaneously to give a platform for scholars to share their latest research dealing with the issues of politics, economy, gender, and sociology in Latin America through an interdisciplinary lens.
Participators presented their work in panels such as “Development and Change in the Economic History of Latin America”, “Understanding Social Movements in Latin America” and “The Literature of Latin America and the Caribbean.”
Students who participated in the conference had the opportunity to gain insight on the scholarship process and were able to comment on the research presented, therefore challenging the panelists to improve their work, Wilson said.
“Students can come and see a lot of cutting edge scholarship. The goal of a lot of these [research] papers is to be published. The papers will be submitted to journals and hopefully in some cases, be chapters in future books,” Wilson said.
The theme of the conference, “Latin America: Change and the Visions of Hope”, was fitting considering that it took place during a crucial time for Latin American politics and rapid Latin population growth in the U.S.
“How a country as powerful as the U.S. deals with other countries and its neighbors, drew me to look at where that emerged from,” panelist and grad-student Austin Smith, University of Central Florida, said on the issue of empire. “This is when the U.S. breaks out as a world power [and begins] expanding its influence without expanding its borders.”
The conference seemed to have a profound effect on some students who came out of curiosity about the culture.
Jonathan Gonzalez, bio-chemistry major, 21, said that he went to the conference because he wanted to know more about Latin America because “it is often mis-portrayed.” He also said that after the conference, he is now considering to minor in Latin American studies.
The community as a whole can benefit from this conference, Michelle
Arce, History professor of Solano Community College said. “It’s important to expose people to issues of public policy, and enhance their understanding of the significance of the Latin America in relation to the US.”
Although there were students present at the conference, no other faculty members from EC could be found, other than the ones coordinating it putting together the panels.
“I don’t know why we emphasize so much money and support for study abroad programs, but when an academic conference happens on campus, there is little support, and with the recommendation of Francisco Arce, it was free for faculty, staff and students of EC,” Ahmadpour said.
The turnout wasn’t as big as previous years, Maria-Aparecida Lopes said. She said that teachers who have tenure are supposed to have their trip funded by the school, but other teachers as well as grad students, are most likely unable to afford it.
“This year all together, conferences have been suffering. Because of the budget cuts and the issue of the economy, campuses have been affected greatly,” said Ahmadpour.
To close the opening night of the conference, music professor and saxophonist Anne Patterson hosted Southern California’s Latin jazz combo, Latin Connection, which featured homegrown prodigy Chase Morrin in Haag Recital Hall Friday night.
The energy of the conference culminated with the keynote speaker professor of political science and international studies at UC Irvine, Dr. Alison Brysk’s presentation on “Human Rights, National Insecurity, and Visions of Hope in the Americas”.