News Line

Blood Drive proves to be a major success
The Inter-Club Council Blood Drive, which took place March 24-26, collected 338 units of blood. It is estimated that this will help save 1,014 lives.

Swine flu no cause for alarm in local areas
The Health Center has reported, after speaking with the Torrance Public Health Department, that there have been no cases of the swine flu reported locally, but regular flu is still being reported. It is recommended that students get plenty of sleep, stay physically active, manage stress, drink plenty of fluids, eat nutritious foods and avoid close contact with those who are sick to help prevent getting the flu.

Tour of NASA’s JPL being offered to students
A NASA Jet Propulsion Lab open house tour will take place on Saturday. Students will depart at 8:30 a.m. from the Campus Police parking lot and return at 1 p.m. A $5 refundable deposit will be required upon signing up. Students will tour the facility, learn more about JPL’s research, meet scientists and engineers and discover how spacecraft are sent to other planets. Students may sign up at the Career Center and seats are limited. Interested persons may call 310-660-3593, ext. 6137, for further information.

Workshop to assist those denied admission
There will be a University Appeal Workshop for students who have been denied their first-choice university on Thursday, May 7, in H111 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Students will learn how to use strategies on how to write an effective admissions appeal letter.

UCLA Day to take place on the Library Lawn
There will be a UCLA Day on Thursday, May 7, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Library Lawn. Students will learn how to get into UCLA. All majors and programs are welcomed. Interested persons may call 310-660-3593, ext. 5481, for further information.

Financial Aid Workshop to assist students
There will be a financial aid workshop for students who are confused about financial aid on Thursday, May 7, in the Library Demonstration Center from 10 a.m. to noon. Students will need to bring their Social Security number and their parent’s Social Security number if providing parent information, a drivers’ license, 2008 federal tax returns, records of untaxed income, library print card and, if they are not a citizen, their alien registration number. Interested persons may call 310-660-3493 for more information.

Deadline to apply for Stafford loans soon
The deadline to apply for Stafford Loans is May 14 and applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. No employment required. Students must be enrolled in at least six units and must have a Financial Aid Award Letter. Other restrictions apply. Students may call 310-660-3493 for more information.

Tour of CSU Long Beach will be available to students
A CSU Long Beach tour will take place on Friday, May 22. Students will depart from the Campus Police parking lot at 7:30 a.m. and return at 1 p.m. A $5 refundable deposit will be required upon signing up. Interested persons may call 310-660-3593, ext. 5481, for more information.