Scholarships Offered to Faculty Union Family Members

Scholarships are being offered to students who have family members that belong to the California Federation of Teachers and other unions.

One scholarship being offered is the Raoul Teilhet scholarship, which is named after the president of the California Federation of Teachers during the 1970s when education employees in California had won bargaining rights.

“It was something that was developed by Teilhet, and he provided the scholarships for the members of the federation,” Nina Velasquez, executive director of the EC Federation of Teachers, said.

“He was an advocate for social change during the 70s and he’s still alive today.”

The Raoul Teilhet Scholarship program began in 1998 during the California Federation of Teachers Convention.

Scholarships are available to high school seniors who are planning to attend a community college, a trade or technical school, four-year universities or colleges and art schools.

Scholarships are also available to continuing college students.

Awards are based on academic achievement, financial need, special talents and skills, participation in campus or community activities and a required essay.

The award amounts for the 2008-09 academic year range from $1,000 for students who are attending two-year schools to $3,000 for students who are attending four-year colleges.

“Our federation also gives four $250 scholarships every year,” Velasquez said.

“You don’t have to belong to the CTF, but the requirement is that one family member belong to some union.”

For more information on how to apply for the scholarships, interested students who are eligible may apply online or visit the EC Federation of Teachers’ Office in CTO 108, located next the Communications Building.