Transfer fair opens as first of its kind

Although it may have looked like just another commonplace event sponsored by a group on campus complete with tables, fliers and free pens, Friday’s Transfer Conference was the first of its kind.

With more than 300 students attending, the Transfer Conference educated students about the process of transferring to universities and featured workshops, guest speakers, a student panel and university representatives from across the state.

“The goal of the conference was to provide information to students who are just starting the process regarding transfer and not for students who are ready to transfer,” Dianne Martinez, Transfer Center adviser, said.

Usual college fairs sponsored by the Transfer Center throughout the year tend to only include university representatives at tables with fliers in front of the Schauerman Library. This conference was different because included workshops and speakers.

“It was better because they knew the exact questions that most students had and addressed them. At the fairs, there’s a lot of people and they interfered with my classes,” Ana Banuelos, Senator of health sciences and athletics, said.

Students who had under 30 units went to a workshop known as “Starting the Transfer Process” while those with more than 30 units attended the “Transfer Ready” workshop.

“I learned about programs, the requirements needed for each major, GPAs and which majors are impacted and which are not,” Banuelos said.

Another set of workshops was separated into three categories related to the type of university: California State universities, University of California and private institutions.

“I just wanted to orient myself on how to transfer to a university. I want to go to UCLA by the end of next year. I have wanted to go there since I was a kid,” Banuelos said.

Students also had the opportunity to ask questions and hear from a student panel and talk to former students who discussed their own experiences transferring.

“I went to the conference to speak with students about transferring and answer questions,” Cindy Pineda, psychology and public policy majors, said.

Lasting from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30, the conference was found by many to be comprehensive.

“The conference made it easier for me to know exactly what to do to achieve my goal of going to UCLA; it gave me more information which I did not know,” Banuelos said.

“We had so many students who didn’t know what the transfer process was and left with their questions answered,” Martinez said.