Fate of winter session remians undetermined

For those wanting to graduate or transfer as quickly as possible the possibility of a winter session may trigger anticipation .

Currently, the winter session will remain a possibility until the official decision is made in October of the fall semester, Ann Garten, public information officer, said.

“There is not enough information to make an intelligent decision until late September or early October, so there is no indication at this point of whether or not a winter session will happen,” Garten said.

“The college has to make a fiscally sound decision since there is a lack of state funding that will only support a certain number of students,” she said.

“The winter session was postponed because it was determined that it would have the least effect on the students, not necessarily assuming that it didn’t have any effect whatsoever,” Garten said about the presence of summer classes.

“The college has reached the enrollment requirement that the state has asked for,” Pamela Fees, business manager, said.

“But it also has exceeded the level of funding that the state can give,” she said referring to state requirements for finacial support.

There were many students who were disappointed about the winter session being canceled this year.

Most were planning on taking classes this winter to finish EC relatively early.

“A lot of my friends hated the winter break cancellation because they really needed the units to transfer to finish,” Jikki Yamat, 22, undecided, said.

For Torrance resident Jonathan Bohorquez, 18, undecided, said the cancellation of the winter session affected him financially since his other options were other more distant colleges.

“I wanted to take classes here so I wouldn’t have to drive to Santa Monica or West College just to take one class,” he said. “It’s a waste of gas.”

Environmental studies major Stanislav Parfenov, 20, said that the winter break allows students to continue being motivated and focused on completing their graduation or transfer units.

“In fact, when I took classes for the winter session, my GPA increased not only during the winter session, but also during the next semester,” Parfenov said.

“It is too much pressure if classes are taken all at once,” he said.

“Students have to cram in so many units that it can strain their GPA,” Nick Unruh, math major, said.

See related editorial Page 4.