Skater has dreams to be a pro

Shane Fithian hucks a backside flip over the rail at Redondo Pier Saturday, April 2. Fithian has been skating since he was 11 and was featured in the local skate video, Goosenectar. Photo credit: Jo Rankin

He picks up his board and heads out with excitement to Westchester Park where he usually skates. Shane Fithian, 19, kinesiology major, started skating eight years ago when his older brother introduced him to it.

Fithian skates with his friends just for fun and got started about 8 years ago when his older brother took him skating for the first time.

Besides his brother, Fithian has gotten inspiration from other skaters.

Andrew Reynolds is Fithian’s favorite skater he said. He watched him skate growing up and is his inspiration for skating.

“He made me want to go skate,” Fithian said.

Another of Fithian’s favorite skaters is Jeremy Leabres, he said. Fithian loves his skating style and trick selection.

Fithian currently attends El Camino college and plans on transferring to Cal State Long Beach. As of now he just skates for fun.

“Skating is fun because you feel free and there’s no rules to it. You can do whatever you want,” Fithian said.

Fithian’s only sponsor was Vanguard so he currently has no chance of making it pro unless he gets another sponsor, he said.

“I would like to go pro one day, if not I would just like to have fun skating,” Fithian said.

After every session of skating, Fithian said he usually feels pretty tired but he feels like he’s accomplished something, specially when he learns a new trick.

Fithian said that he’s broken his ankle and tailbone, has gotten a concussion and has even had to get stiches due to skating.

“When I was young the board flipped and hit my eye and slit (it) and I had to get stitches,” Fithian said.

Fithian’s advice to those skaters barely starting is to just have fun and don’t take it serious. Fithian said the main purpose is to have fun and if you are not having fun then why do it?

Skating has taught Fithian how to endure and be persistent. He said a trick could take five minutes to learn or up to three hours.

“You have to be persistent when learning a new trick,” Fithian said.