Campus Food

Juicy philly cheese steaks. Enormous double bacon cheeseburgers. Healthy chicken caesar salads.

The selection of food here at different cafes on El Camino College is vast; some of the cafes being packed and some of them empty.

One of the cafes that is always packed is Café Camino.

“Our prices are very cheap,” Kay Kasaya, Café Camino Manager, said. Our combo breakfasts are under $5 and we also have lunch specials where you can get a burger, fries, and a drink for only $6. We also have teriyaki and for people who want to eat healthy, we also have sandwiches and salads.”

Most of the cafes have the same type of food but some of them have just one or two different selections that might draw more customers to that respective café.

“We make crepes here with that new machine,” Maam Tip, The Common Ground Manager said. “We have different types of crepes. For lunch we have something like a ham and cheese crepe. For a dessert, we have various types like fresh fruits, ice cream, brownies, almonds, and oreos. We also make smoothies here.”

The cafes that have grills, which are Café Camino, Deli, and Munchies, the business has been consistent; however, the cafe without a grill, the Manhattan, is still looking for answers.

“Last fall, I think they remodeled here,” Sunee Yim, worker at the Manhattan for two semesters, said. “However it’s still not too busy. It’s really slow here. We need some customers to come here.”

Students who don’t want to eat at any of these cafes can also choose to bring their own lunch; warming up food can be done inside the student activity center.

“I think people should eat here at Common Ground. We have so much selections but a lot of people only go to Café Camino,” Tip said. “Don’t crepes and smoothies sound delicious?”