Honoring women in faculty on Wall of Fame

Going back to her roots was a dream for Cynthia Mosqueda.

That’s why she ended up here, on the second floor of the Student Services Center. As a former EC student, the First Year Experience counselor wanted to give back to the community from where she came.

“When I was a student here, I got a job at EOP&S as a peer adviser. When I got that job, I knew I wanted to go back to EC,” Mosqueda said.

Perhaps her enthusiasm is the reason she is one of 10 women who have been inducted for this year’s Women’s Wall of Fame, as part of Women’s History Month in March.

For the past nine years, 10 women have been nominated by faculty and community members.

Special consideration is taken into account for women working in “traditional fields,” such as education and health, Elizabeth Shadish, former co-chairwoman of the Women’s History Month Committee, said.

“It is really important that we highlight women’s achievements. They’re quote-unquote, ‘invisible,’ or they’re just devalued,” Shadish said.

Faculty members and students alike seem to respect Mosqueda.

“I can wholeheartedly say that she has a sincere passion to help students and she goes the extra mile to ensure that their needs are met,” Luis Barrueta, First Year Experience/Learning Communities coordinator, said.

Mosqueda was instrumental in the success of the First Year Experience program and its endeavors, including High School Senior Day, an event that introduces EC to college and transfer-bound seniors.

In its fourth year, High School Senior day has since doubled its numbers of participants from 500 to 1,000 students.

The First Year Experience program has raised its numbers 900 percent from 50 in its first year to this year to 450 this year.

“She’s very helpful in regards to my questions about transferring and scholarships,” Patrick Yutronich, 20, history major, said.

Nominated individuals to the Wall of Fame have their names engraved on a plaque located in the Schauerman Library on the second floor.

Additionally, the women receive a certificate of recognition during the Women’s Wall of Fame Reception on March 29, Staff Development Coordinator Donna Manno said.

In light of Women’s History Month, a free Women’s Health Forum will take place March 31 in the Student Activities Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.