Filed under Arts, Reviews

Choreography Showcase lights up the Campus Theater

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student perform

Student perform "ElementAiry" during the Choreography Showcase on Thursday, May 31 in the Campus Theatre. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

Striking poses, kinetic energy, emotion, creative costumes and lighting and an eclectic choice of music and songs would all be words used to summarize the Choreography Showcase held at the Campus Theater on Thursday, May 31.

Two performances took place at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m., giving both students and non-students a chance to attend the show.

7101.JPG

Dancers perform "Embodied" at the Campus Theater on Thursday, May 31. Photo credit: Jack Kan

The showcase was directed by three dancers and choreographers: Liz Hoefner Adams, Jonathan Bryant and Jessica Kondrath.

El Camino dance students performed eighteen acts in total, and it would be impossible to do them all justice with words alone.

EO6A0479.JPG

Student perform "Escape" during the Choreography Showcase on Thursday, May 31 in the Campus Theatre. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

“Clockwork” resembled a multicolored moving mosaic. “Too Hot” was just that. “Red Breeze” presented an exotic Vietnamese flavor. “Escape” was both dynamic and dramatic. “Release of Emotion” used flags in a visually arresting way.

7167.JPG

"Clockwork" was a colorful choreography performed at the Campus Theater on Thursday, May 31. Photo credit: Jack Kan

7267.JPG

Flags featured in "Release of Emotion" which was performed in the Campus Theater on Thursday, May 31. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Roel Climaco scorched the stage in “Now That We Are Dead Inside,” a bravura solo performance enhanced by Radiohead’s, “Paranoid Android.”

7488.JPG

Dancer Roel Climaco performed a solo in "Now That We Are Dead Inside" to Radiohead's song "Paranoid Android" during the Choreography Showcase. Photo credit: Jack Kan

“Garden Statues” ended on a beautiful note with a red flower.

“Fire & Forget/Forget & Fire” was pure hip hop dyn-o-mite. “Effects of A” was quasi apocalyptic. “ElementAiry” had a fittingly atmospheric foggy background to the tune of Filament’s, “This is My Line”.

7278.JPG

A group of dancers perform "Fire & Forget/Forget & Fire" during the Choreography Showcase in the Campus Theater on Thursday, May 31. Photo credit: Jack Kan

EO6A0669.JPG

Student perform "Effects of A" during the Choreography Showcase on Thursday, May 31 in the Campus Theatre. Photo credit: Mari Inagaki

The emotional high point might have been “Cycle of Suffocation,” a powerful salute to the “#metoo” movement, as well as a tribute to Sara Bareilles’ song “Gravity”.

Even the dancers’ final bows made for an infectious moment that can only be fully illustrated if you were in attendance.

A photo gallery of the Choreography Showcase can be seen here.

• Arts

Lo-Tech/ No-Tech will provide dancers the opportunity to show their moves on stage

• Choreography Showcase lights up the Campus Theater

Arts

Fall Advanced Dance Concert

Arts

Drawing is her favorite form of expression

Arts

Dressing as a drag queen is more than a hobby for EC student

Arts

Free annual Faculty Show to showcase artwork from EC staff members

Arts

Military band performs at El Camino, here are 19 photos from the event

• Arts

Freezing ‘On Assignment Antarctica’ film showing at El Camino

Arts

EC student creates magic with a camera

Arts

Art Gallery presenting ‘Caminos and Passages’ exhibit by Raoul De la Sota

Arts

We Banjo 3 tour comes to El Camino College