Filed under Arts, On the Scene

ECC Concert Jazz Band showcase Latin influenced music to Campus Theatre audience

Guest artist Anibal Seminario solos on soprano sax with the ECC Concert Jazz Band at the Campus Theater, on Wednesday May 23, 2018. Photo credit: Jack Kan

A mix of salsa, tango and creole music were blended together during the ECC Concert Jazz Band performanced on Wednesday, May 23 in the Campus Theater.

The band performed a collection of Latin American music for the audience.

“I loved the Latin beat of the songs,” audience member Linda Kruse said. “The musicians enjoyed what they were doing.”

5534.JPG

Jazz Vocal Ensemble "En Harmony" performs with the ECC Concert Jazz Band in the Campus Theater on Wednesday May 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan

The orchestra, along with the audeince danced to many of the salsa pieces. “Oye Coma Va” brought the crowd to their feet.

“I enjoyed watching the director,” audience member Janina Mikrut said. “I could tell he has a love (for) what he’s doing.”

5580.JPG

ECC Music Professor Alan Chan conducts the ECC Concert Jazz Band in the Campus Theater, on Wednesday May 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan

Trumpet, trombone and saxophone players all participated in solos. ECC faculty member and director Alan Chan recognized each soloists after each music piece.

5609.JPG

Trombone solo from the ECC Concert Jazz Band at the Campus Theater on Wednesday May 23. Photo credit: Jack Kan

After the performance the audience applauded loudly, illustrating their thoughts on how the band performed.

5614.JPG

“I auditioned for the band this semester and got to see what they were up to,” audience member Stephen Bouchan said. “The performance had nice beats and solos.”

About the Writer
Darren Demorst, Staff Writer
Darren DeMorst is in his third year at El Camino College. He is a broadcast journalism major. This is his first semester as a staff writer for the Union. He enjoys watching movies, bowling and listening to music (mostly the Beatles). He hopes to transfer to California State University Long Beach in the fall for...