The South Bay Camerata comes to EC

A fundraiser event in the form of a concert will be hosted by the Society of Music Friday night at the Campus Theatre with hopes to send members of the South Bay Camerata to Europe.

The South Bay Camerata is planning to go on a trip to Europe that is similar to a study abroad program. According to the president of the Society of Music, Ivan Alcantar, some members of the group will also be performing in concerts, festivals and churches in Europe.

Locations to be visited during the Europe trip include Vienna, Salzburg, Venice and Florence, Alcantar said.

Also being a member of the South Bay Camerata, Alcantar described the non-profit group as one that consists of students from EC, SMC, USC, Long Beach State and CSU Domingez Hills.

The concert being held Friday night features four solo piano pieces, four songs and a few performances by the LA SuperNova Ensemble, which is conducted by William Doyle. Alcantar added that Doyle will also be premiering an original composition titled “The Cask of Amontillado” to end the night — the composition is based on the short story of the same name by Edgar Allan Poe.

Most of the music pieces being played Friday night will be performed by current EC students, Alcantar said — Kristopher Kadir (trumpet), Armando Wood (bass), Frank Ramirez (clarinet), and Alcantar (piano).

“Virtually everyone performing that night is at least an alumni of EC,” Alcantar added.

In conclusion, Alcantar summarized Friday night’s event as a concert featuring “talented performers at various levels, including some ECC students.”

The Society of Music Presents: South Bay Camerata starts at 8 p.m. Feb. 9 in the Campus Theatre.

Update: Full university names were changed into acronyms.