Track and field impresses against Brazilian national team in San Diego

El Camino track visited San Diego Mesa Community College last Saturday and looked in fine fashion as they competed with various junior colleges and the Brazil national team.

Coach Dean Lofgren thought it was healthy competition with the national team’s presence there.

“The Brazilian runners were very good and it brought out the competitive nature of our athletes,” Lofgren said.

Elsewhere, EC delivered positive results with multiple athletes placing in a majority of events throughout the day.

Freshman sprinter Xiomara Perkins earned a second-place finish in both the women’s 100-meter dash and the women’s 200-meter dash.

Freshman Passionae Martin finished with second-place in the 400, third in the women’s 400-meter hurdles and tied with freshman teammate Jasmine Lacy for third in the women’s high jump. Lacy also finished fifth in the 400.

Freshman Kimberly Markley had a day to remember as she finished first in the women’s 400-meter dash, second in the long jump and third in the triple jump. Teammate freshman Zaynab Bent-Mikail was right behind her in the long jump with a third-place finish.

Both women’s relay teams show no signs of slowing down as the 4×100 and the 4×400 both finished third.

Freshman pole vaulter Sara Curran continues to have top marks as she took third place.

Sophomore Daniel York-Mouton captured third place in the men’s 200-meter dash. Mouton has secured back-to-back medals in the past two track meets.

Sophomore Blaize Ali-Watkins placed in multiple events including fifth in the 200, second in the 400, and sixth in long jump. Watkins believes his team had a strong outing in San Diego Mesa at the end of the day.

“At the end of the meet we came together and fired on all cylinders as a unit,” Watkins said.

Sophomore Teddy Kassa had a new personal record in the men’s 1500-meter dash as he finished first for the Warriors.

Lone sophomore hurdler Chris Graham took first in the 110-meter hurdles as he continues towards conference finals.

Sophomore jumper Khalil Flemister placed second in the triple-jump. Sophomore teammate Will Ingram, who placed fourth in triple-jump, knew EC set the bar high during the meet with all the wins the team earned.

“We were working hard and you could feel the presence we set there,” Ingram said.

The relay teams have been the most consistent this whole season as the men placed third in the 4×100 and and first in the 4×400.

Sophomore Jeremy Swan feels the team is ready for state but still have a few meets to perfect and polish everything before the main event in May.

“I will do whatever the team needs of me, my goal is state,” Swan said.