Baseball team loses tough battle at Cerritos

Warriors first baseman Jake Sahagian tags Cerritos College outfielder Kyle Carpenter out at first base in the bottom of the eighth inning. The Warriors fell to the Falcons 7-6 on Saturday afternoon. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The Warriors showed strength in the first inning when they earned two runs, the first when freshman right-fielder Jonathan Pasillas ripped a ball down the left field line and brought in sophomore second baseman Joseph Cortez.

The baseball team traveled to Cerritos on Saturday to play the final game in a three-game series, being defeated 7-6 in a close battle, according to CCCAA Stats.

The Warriors followed the strong first inning with one run scored in the top of the second, and another two runs in the top of the third.

El Camino started to slip up defensively in the bottom of the fourth inning when they conceded the Falcons’ first run of the game.

The Falcons shifted the momentum in the bottom of the fifth inning when they earned five runs against the Warriors, giving them a late 6-5 lead.

EC took that as a sign to up their defense and offense with two scoreless innings, and a run in the top of the eighth tied the game.

After a long and close game, the Falcons got a walk-off single to win the game 7-6.

The Warriors record dropped to 21-12, and their conference record went back down to .500 at 9-9. EC will host the East Los Angeles Huskies for the first of the final three-game series of the regular season.