Baseball team wins fourth in a row after defeating Mt. San Antonio

Warriors utility Joseph Cortez slides into second base on Tuesday March 24. Cortez was ruled out after it was deemed that the ball hit his leg as he slid into second base. The Warriors defeated Mt. San Antonio College 6-5 Tuesday afternoon. The Warriors are on a four-game winning streak and stand at 4-6 in the South Coast Conference. Photo credit: John Fordiani

The Warriors baseball team hosted the Mt. San Antonio Mounties Tuesday in the first of three-game series, defeating them 6-5.

The Warriors opened the game up strong against the Mounties when they scored two runs in the bottom of the first inning. Sophomore catcher Joey Notch was walked with bases loaded to bring in sophomore second baseman Joseph Cortez for the run.

The second was scored when sophomore shortstop Fred Smith hit a sacrifice fly to center field that brought in freshman right-fielder Jonathan Pasillas for the early 2-0 lead.

The Warriors followed that up with three runs scored in the bottom of the second inning when second baseman Joseph Cortez reached first off an error that brought in freshman third baseman Ricardo Serrano for the run. They followed that up with two runs earned off a single by freshman first baseman Jake Sahagian for the early 5-0 lead.

The Warriors followed up the early lead with three runs conceded to the Mounties in the third and fourth innings, keeping the game close at 5-3. After pitching four good innings for the Warriors, sophomore pitcher Josh Norwood was relieved by sophomore Dalton Erb, who earned the win for his team.

Coach Nate Fernley felt that Erb was one of the key aspects of the win, and that he really stood out in the game.

“I think [Dalton] Erb did a really good job on the mound today,” Fernley explained. “We did a really good job executing with our pitching.”

Erb had a very strong five innings pitched, only giving up four hits, two runs, and two walks while also throwing an impressive seven strikeouts.

Sophomore center-fielder Keyon Allen felt that Erb’s trip to the mound that “shut them out for five innings” was the real turning point in the game.

Towards the end of the game, the Warriors earned one final run in the bottom of the seventh inning when right fielder Jonathan Pasillas hit a sacrifice fly to center field that brought in center fielder Keyon Allen for the score which increased their lead to 6-3.

Pitcher Dalton Erb felt that by adding the run at the end of the game for “a lead by three runs,” it was a real turning point in the game.

After this final run, however, the Warriors conceded one run in the eighth and ninth innings that brought the Mounties close to tying it up at 6-5, but the Warriors were able to close the game for the victory.

The Warriors did well against Mounties pitcher Ethan Etchebarren, recording eight hits, six runs, and three walks against him. The biggest hitter on the day for the Warriors was first baseman Jake Sahagian, who recorded a perfect three hits of three at-bats.

The Warriors also was able to force the Mounties to make two errors that they took advantage of. Center fielder Keyon Allen felt that the Warriors really “capitalized on the mistakes” the Mounties made.

The Warriors record improves to 14-9, their conference record improving to 4-6, and their win streak extends to four games. They look to continue the wins as they travel to Mt. San Antonio Thursday March 26 for the second out of three-game series.