Warriors make progress yet fall short

A scorched crowd in Bakersfield on Saturday night, saw the Warriors football team fall to the Renegades, 20-15. Regardless of the outcome and opponent, this team seemed to take a step forward in its second game of the young season.

“We had a good game plan and we played together,” freshman running back Raymond Graham said. “If we do the little things better, we will be all right.”

Little things seemed to snowball into bigger things for El Camino (0-2), as sophomore kicker Chris Valle missed an extra point and a short field goal that seemed to snap the teams momentum. Despite outgaining Bakersfield (1-1) in total offense, the Warriors were not able to capitalize on their chances in opposing territory.

“We need to execute on all three phases,” head coach Gifford Lindheim said. “We still have to figure out how to win football games. That’s what you get with such a young team.”

While the young players are still developing, the sophomore wide receivers on the team already seem to be in mid-season form. Trevon Clark had four catches for 77-yards, and Kishawn Berry added eight catches for 48-yards and a touchdown.

“It was trips on my side, and I saw a one on one with the corner,” Berry said. “When I saw him go left, I ran a corner route and it was a touchdown.”

El Camino’s other touchdown was scored on a 1-yard quarterback keeper by sophomore Grant Ferrauilo, who replaced starter Aaron Thomas in the fourth quarter as Thomas was evaluated for a neck injury. Thomas landed on his neck as he absorbed the final of a whopping five sacks by the Renegade defense.

Bakersfield pass defense was important, but on offense the team revolved around sophomore running back Elisha Ortiz. Ortiz ran 22 times for 77-yards and a touchdown. He added six catches for 39-yards receiving, and a touchdown reception. Stopping backs like Ortiz will be a huge key to the teams success this coming Saturday, September 15, as the Warriors head home to take on LA Harbor at 1 p.m.