Up next for the women’s volleyball team: Conference opener at Cerritos College

Freshman Micah Hammond gets attacks the ball against the San Diego Mesa College Olympians in her first start of the season. Photo credit: Elijah Hicks

The El Camino women’s volleyball team (8-3) has fallen to being ranked No. 10 in the state after a thrilling five-set win over San Diego Mesa College (5-5) and a tough four-set loss against newly ranked No. 1 Grossmont College (8-1), last Friday.

The Warriors have looked good against lower-ranked teams and will look to continue to do in the South Coast Conference opener at the Cerritos College Falcons (5-5) Friday. EC swept Cerritos in both meetings last year.

Although the loss came at the price of trying out new rotations and a new system, the Warriors didn’t seem too shaken by the loss vs. Grossmont.

Freshman middle blockers Micah Hammond and Cheyanne Smith saw their first action all season, with Hammond starting vs. Mesa and Smith getting her playing time once the 6-2 system was attempted vs. Grossmont.

El Camino will look to bounce back against a Cerritos team reworking around their new head coach, Kari Pestolesi.

Next game: El Camino at Cerritos College

When: Friday, at 6 p.m.

Where: Cerritos Falcon Gym.