Warriors crush El Camino-Compton Center in lopsided win

Brady Dorn, freshman, infielder gets a base hit during a homegame against Compton Center played on April 2nd, at 12:00pm. Photo credit: Sue Hong

It was the seventh inning and the baseball team was way out in front 13-2 when Warriors’ right fielder Nick Sablock stepped in the batters box and lined a ball into the right field corner and sprinted around the bases for an RBI triple to complete the cycle.

“I’ve never hit for the cycle before and it feels pretty good.” Sablock said. “It was a career-day in every facet.

JR0A3430.jpg
Nick Sablock, Sophomore, outfielder does a happy dance as he steals second during a homegame against the El Camino Compton center on April 2nd at 12:00pm.

El Camino College (18-6, 7-2) went on to beat El Camino-Compton College, 22-2, completing the series sweep on Saturday.

Coach Nate Fernley said the last cycle recorded for El Camino was in 2011 by first baseman Garrett Cooper who is now playing in the Milwaukee Brewers organization.

Sablock finished the day going six for six with nine RBIs including three doubles, a triple and three-run home run.

“You don’t really see it (a cycle) like that, he just crushed the ball today.” Fernley said. “It’s probably one of the best hitting performances I’ve seen.”

The entire team crushed the ball today, recording a 10-run inning and receiving home runs from Sablock, freshman infieder Brady Dorn, and sophomore infielder Zack Ferreira.

While the Warriors’ offense exploded for 18 hits, freshman starting pitcher Taylor Rashi held the Tartars to only four hits in seven innings and struck out five batters.

“He did well, he threw strikes and controlled the count.” Fernley said. “I think all three starters this series did a good job of that.”

Rashi cruised through the game despite having long breaks while watching the offense makes sure he had enough run support.

“It’s a long rest but It’s fun to watch those guys do their thing and see your team do well,” Rashi said. “But you just need to go out there and throw strikes.”

“Throw strikes” is exactly what Rashi did, only giving up one walk while being pleased with his command of the curveball.

JR0A3519.jpg
from left: Nick Sablock (Sophomore) outfielder, Kyle Henmi (Freshman) infielder, and Noah Barba (Freshman) outfielder each score at the bottom of the 4th. They lead the El Camino Compton center 6-1 and raise their helmets in celebration.

“It was the first time in a while its actually been working,” Rashi said. “But once it started working it was nice to have it back.”

The Warriors have now won five straight games and next up they will face Mt. San Antonio College, Tuesday on the road at 6 p.m. in another conference game.