Men’s soccer team moves up in standings

Motivated by a bad performance in the previous game, Nolan Dean, goalkeeper, was focused and ready to bounce back strong.

Making one incredible save after another, Dean had a dominating performance as he helped his team shutout East L.A. College, 1-0 last Friday.

Dean made seven key stops and his third shutout of the season.

“I’m just glad we got the shutout; last game was pretty embarrassing,” Dean said. “I was just making sure to keep the ball out of the net.”

Teammate Ozzy Rodriguez, midfielder, was giddy about Deans’ performance.

“Nolan coming off a bad loss got it together,” Rodriguez said. “It was an incredible performance; his (Dean) reaction time and every time the ball was in the air he was there to catch it.”

Andrew Britton, assistant coach, said Nolan stood out in the field and had a dominating performance.

“It was a hard fought game, Nolan was outstanding; He made some great saves,” Britton said.

The defense was also a key contributor to the Warriors’ winning game.

“We tightened up the defense and didn’t give up East Los Angeles too much, but overall a much better performance,” John Britton, coach, said.

“Our defense was very good. We got pressure on their shooters,” Andrew Britton, said.

In the 35th minute, Jessie Chamberlain, midfielder, scored the only goal for the Warriors.

The Warriors improve their record to 6-4-1, 4-2-0.

“It was a free kick that didn’t go directly to me and the ball was deflected off of another player. Instincts carried me, and I blasted it into the net,” Chamberlain said.

After a disappointing loss to Harbor College, the Warriors didn’t underestimate the opponent.

“East L.A. College can run, and they were a physical team with high intensity from the beginning to the end of the game on our part,” Rodriguez said.

Toward the end of the game, the intensity picked up and the game got physical.

“It got kind of chippy and it was a good, high intense game from beginning to end,” Rodriguez said

He said he believes that now the focus is on winning the conference and hoping to contend for a playoff spot.

“The mindset now is conference,” Rodriguez said.

On Oct. 9, the Warriors played against Harbor College in a disappointing effort. The Warriors got shut out, 3-0.

Chamberlain said he thinks the Warriors didn’t come out with the energy and focus.

“We started off sloppy, lazy and mentally we weren’t in the game,” Chamberlain said.

The Warriors weren’t playing to their potential and were not going in hard on tackles, Chamberlain added.

“I feel like if we would have played the way we wanted to play, we would have beaten Harbor,” Chamberlain added.

“If we play the way we want to play we can go pretty far,” Chamberlain said.