25th Annual Hall of Fame a night to remember

More than 150 people gathered at the Ayres Hotel last Thursday to celebrate the induction of five former EC athletes, coaches, and an entire football team into the EC Athletic Hall of Fame.

The move to Ayres Hotel for this year’s banquet was well received, and largely responsible for the night’s success, Athletic Director and Master of Ceremonies, Tony Barbone said.

“It was the best turn out that we’ve ever had, in terms of numbers. I think everyone enjoyed the new venue, it created a bit of a different atmosphere,” Barbone said.

Athletes Jack Preijers, Dan Speltz, Rose Duncun and Greg Bruckner were all inducted into the hall of fame, alongside coach Bob Myers, according to the event’s program.

However, in a change from previous Hall of Fame Celebrations, the sixth inductee was not an individual, but the entire 1971 EC State Championship Football Team.

“This was the first time we’ve ever inducted an entire team, and we’re going to try to make it a staple each year to reach back into the history of El Camino and recognize teams for accomplishments as well,” Barbone said.

Also recognized were Hunter Hovland of the Men’s Volleyball team and Amanda Young of the Women’s Basketball team, with both being named Athletes of the Year for their accomplishments.

The Ray Southstone Scholarship Award was awarded to Anthony Lewis and Rukayah Bent-Mikail, for their amazing efforts in track and field.

Finally, the Norm Verry Scholarship Award went to Christen Clark of Men’s Basketball and Erica Bender of Water Polo and Swimming for their combination of athletic prowess and academic excellence.