Golfers swing for Mounties, second place in conference

Ending the season with a strong swing, the men’s golf team is getting ready to drive Mt. SAC out of second place.

Going into the Palos Verdes tournament, EC is still in third overall but merely four points away from Mt. SAC.

“I think we are going to get second (at Palos Verdes) and we will be second in the conference,” Andy Greene, team captain, said.

With one tournament left, the team is getting ready for a marathon of a tournament.

The South Coast Conference’s last competition is a 36-hole endurance race at Soboba Springs Golf Course.

“Part of this tournament is stamina. It could take nine or ten hours to play. If you have never played thirty-six holes, it can be a real back-breaker,” coach Terry Titus said.

“We already had a practice round at Soboba, so I think we should do fine.”

The final tournament acts as two regular season tournaments; however, these two occur in the same day.

“Some guys have been playing thirty-six holes in order to prepare for this kind of tournament,” Titus said.

The conference will send one team to the regional finals along with the next six best golfers.

Three of the six will be sent because they have the highest season average. The other three will be chosen from the lowest rounds at the conference final, Titus said.

“I think we have a chance of getting three, maybe four of our players into the regional finals. That will take place at the PGA at Beaumont,” Titus said.

“Dan Turner, Dusty Stumpp, and Andrew Pulaski have been playing really well,” Greene said.

The team hosted a tournament yesterday at Palos Verdes Golf Club, with scores unavailable by press time.

Before the tournament yesterday, the golf team’s last competition was on April 5 at Lakewood.

The team has played well this year, but has burdened by unexpected obstacles. The team played consistently in the Lakewood Tournament and once again came in third following a surprising finish from one of the players. .

“We should have beaten Mt. SAC, but they had a player shoot 66, the lowest round of the the year.”