Baseball swings into spring season

Warrior baseball fans have a reason to be excited about the upcoming season.

A new coach brings an intensity to the Warriors that players hope may result in many victories.

Former assistant Greg Bergeron, a Warriors’ coach for six seasons, takes over for the retired Nick Van Lue.

Bergeron, a graduate of Loyola Marymount who played three years in the Houston Astros’ organization, holds high expectations for the team.

“We’re going to go out and try to win a league and conference championship,” Bergeron said. “That’s our goal, and obviously if we do that we make the playoffs.”

The Warriors finished 2003 with a record of 24-16-3, 15-9. Although EC won12 of its last 17 games, the Warriors missed the playoffs by one game because of a slow start.

But the new coach and his players believe this year will be different. The team, which features key returning players as well as many new faces, is riding a wave of confidence after a successful winter league.

The Warriors have performed well in fall practice games, with the team’s defense particularly strong.

“We are very strong up the middle,” Bergeron said. “The infield is really solid and will turn a lot of double plays. Our outfield is also going to run down some fly balls.”

Outfielder Bart Babineaux and righthanded starter Richard Navarrete, named to the all-conference first team last year, hope to help the Warriors vanquish their foes on the diamond this spring.

“The strength of the team is definitely hitting and defense,” pitcher Robert Faulkner said. “But our pitching is coming around and should be ready to roll by spring.”

Freshman catcher Christopher Ornelos is convinced the Warriors will continue playing well enough to beat the opposition.

“We have a lot of strength on this team,” Ornelos said. “We have some weaknesses, but not too many. We are going to have a great season.”

At this point, the only question mark is the pitching staff-which has been inconsistent, often walking too many batsmen.

“If our pitchers can throw strikes and keep the ball in the yard, our defense and offense will take care of the rest,” Bergeron said.

Bergeron wants his team to play baseball the right way, because he said that’s when good things happen.

“Other teams may have more talent than us, but they’ll never outwork us or play harder than we will,” he said. “In the end, that’s going to make up for a lot.”