Warriors to face undefeated Falcons

There’s no place like home; there’s no place like home, or in the case of the women’s volleyball team, there’s no place like the South Coast Conference. The Warriors have only lost one match in conference play in three years and are looking to gain three conference titles in a row this year. The women’s volleyball team will host an undefeated Cerritos team tomorrow. The Warriors have already been defeated by the Falcons twice this year at a preseason scrimmage and at a Pasadena tournament earlier in the season.

“Friday is going to be our real test. Cerritos beat us pretty good both times, but we are a totally different team than we were at just the beginning of the season,” assistant coach Richard Blount said.

” I think we have a real shot at beating them.”

The Warriors will look to exact the same type of revenge they got against Long Beach in the conference opener. “We’re all looking forward to Friday and the chance to make our own history as part of the Warrior tradition,” outside hitter Kelly Kawashima said.

Reviewing last week’s games, the women’s volleyball team continued its dominance over conference opponents by defeating both Harbor and Mt. SAC in straight sets.

On the road Friday, the team traveled to play a tougher opponent, Mt. SAC, and won in straight sets (30-23), (30-19), (30-28). The Warriors utilized a strong team effort to defeat Mt. SAC as three players had at least 11 kills or more and five players had 12 digs or more.

Server Amie Abad was the leader for the Warriors with 21 digs and she also had 24 sets killed.

Outside hitter and team captain Courtney Spainhour had 15 kills and 18 digs, as she continues to play up to her title of conference MVP. Here, last Wednesday the women’s volleyball team defeated Harbor in a rival match.

The Warriors were taller and faster at every position and were never seriously challenged by the Seahawks, who were dwarfed in comparison.

In the first game, the Warriors jumped out to a 20-2 lead en route to 30-11 victory.

The second game was even more of a blowout for the Warriors, as the team dominated the game from start to finish, to later win, 30-6.

In the third game most of the Warriors starters rested and the reserves took over and won the third game, easily winning 30-14.

“Harbor is going to do well in the next couple of years. Their coach does a real good job with her women and that game is going to get a lot tougher for us in years to come,” coach Le Valley Pattison said.

“So far so good. The women are really starting to play well together and the bye on Wednesday should help get some of our players rested and focused for tomorrow,” Blount said.