Breaking down “Breaking Bad”

Walter White, arguably the most celebrated antihero television has recently seen, begins an everyday, average Joe until he is diagnosed with lung cancer. He quits his job, turns to cooking meth, and joins forces with small-time dealer, Jesse Pinkman, to provide for his family before he dies.

One of the most-watched shows on TV in America, “Breaking Bad” has quadrupled its audience in five years and is ranked among the best-written TV series, according to the Writers Guild of America, West.

“In our culture we celebrate antiheroes,” Julio Farias, psychology professor, said. “We like things that are sensational, controversial, and even violent.”

Farias is worried that the show glamorizes illegal activities, especially to a demographic that might not understand the accompanying consequences.

“It is the younger people that ‘Breaking Bad’ appeals to the most,” he said. “A lot of the time I think viewers wish they could behave that way.”

Fans, however, argue that they recognize the show for what it is: a work of fiction.

“It goes into the minds of what people would love to do in real life,” Max Balle, 19, fire technology major, said. “It’s fantasies.”

While many view White’s actions under the glow of a halo, others are more guarded about labeling him the “hero.”

White started off as an everyday kind of guy, and “now he is turning into this murderous king pin,” Daniela Serrano, 19, English major, said. “It’s not normal things that people do.”

Masashi Terayama, 18, business major, is convinced the show’s entertainment value derives entirely from its fixation upon destructive emotions. Consequently, he is past neutral observations about the antihero dynamic.

“I dont find him heroic at all,” Terayama said. “I think he is a scum bag.”

Moral implications aside, Balle believes that the salient themes in “Breaking Bad” offer pragmatic, applicable advice. Among them:

“For every action there is a consequence to it. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for your family,” he said. “Don’t let greed consume you.”

With only two episodes left, it remains to be seen whether “Breaking Bad” will have a chance to revise the final image of its protagonist.

If it wants to reconcile the polar views about its protagonist, however, the show might have someone to start with.

“It’s defying authority and social conviction, but at the same time it might be good and heroic on some level,” Farias said.