Police Beat Jan. 23 – Jan. 28

Jan. 23, 12:02 p.m. A man who is not a student was stopped by officers for riding his bicycle near the Marsee Auditorium. Officers discovered that the man was in possession of a broken porcelain spark plug. The man was arrested for possession of a burglary tool. He was released after being booked and signing a notice to appear in court.

Jan. 23, 9:32 p.m. Officers took a vandalism report in the Humanities Building.

Jan. 23, 10:37 p.m. Officers stopped a stolen vehicle at the intersection of Crenshaw and Manhattan Beach Boulevards. Officers first discovered that the vehicle was stolen after running the license plate while the vehicle was stopped at the red light. Two men were arrested for grand theft auto, possession of a controlled substance and of burglary tools.

Jan. 24, 2:56 p.m. A man who parked his car in Lot L to shop at the Roadium Swap Meet had his car battery stolen. The man told an officer that when he returned, his vehicle wouldn’t start. After looking underneath the hood he saw that his battery was missing. Officers reviewed security camera footage and saw a man in a white Nissan sedan park next to the victim’s vehicle and open the hood and take the battery. The camera footage did not provide a clear image of the suspect’s license plate.

Jan. 25, 8:23 a.m. A man who is not a student was pulled over in Lot A for making an illegal turn. The man was driving with a suspended license. The officer issued the man a citation for the suspended license and his vehicle was towed for having expired registration for over six months.

Jan. 25, 8:16 p.m. A student went to the police station to report that his bicycle was stolen from outside the MBA Building.

Jan. 26, 1:43 p.m. Officers responded to a call about a man trespassing in the Lot C construction site. When officers located the man near the Facilities Department he was found with multiple credit cards, bank checks, identification cards and driver’s licenses that did not belong to him. He also had $4,500 in cash. Officers transported the man who is not a student to the police station for questioning and discovered that the man is possibly connected to burglaries in the Carson area. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department was notified and deputies took the man into their possession.

Jan. 27, 3:19 p.m. A student who went to the Health Center feeling suicidal was taken to an area hospital voluntarily by ambulance.

Jan. 28, 8:07 a.m. A student who crashed into a concrete wall in Lot H was taken to an area hospital for a knee injury. The student told officers that he was pulling into a parking stall on the fourth level when he pressed the accelerator and crashed into the wall.

Jan. 28, 4:46 p.m. A student went to the police station to report that his vehicle was stolen from Lot L. Officers checked the parking lot for the student’s vehicle, but could not locate it.