Police Beat, April 5-16

By Karen Garcia, Associate Editor

April 16, 10 p.m. An officer conducted a traffic stop on Manhattan Beach Boulevard near the facilities department. The driver had made an illegal left turn off campus. It was found that the driver, a female student, was driving with a suspended license. The female was given a citation and a friend showed up on scene to take control of the vehicle.

April 16, 8:30 a.m. Officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle in parking lot A for expired registration. The driver was a male non student and it was discovered that the male was driving on a suspended license. The male was cited and given a violation; the vehicle was impounded.

April 15, 9:15 p.m. Officer conducted a traffic stop near Crenshaw Boulevard. The officer smelled a strong odor of marijuana in the vehicle. The subject, a male non student, admitted to having marijuana in the vehicle. The officer located a small amount of marijuana. Subsequently the male was issued a citation for possession and was released out into the field.

April 15, 5:45 p.m. Officers responded to parking lot D as an officer was citing a vehicle that had expired registration of over six months. As the Officer was completing the citation for the vehicle the registered driver, a female, approached and became upset with the situation. The female attempted to get in her car and drive away. Officers detained the female for obstructing and delaying an officer in completion of his duties. The female was taken to the Torrance Police Department for booking. During the booking process a pill was located in her pant pocket. The female was charged for possession of a substance and delaying an officer in completion of his duty. The female will be referred to the department of student development.

April 11, 2:30 p.m. Officers responded to the second floor of the south P.E. room regarding a medical aid call. A male non student, was participating in a regional dance competition when he dislocated his left knee. According to the male, this has been an ongoing problem for him. The male popped his knee back into its socket and was given an ice pack. He wanted to seek his own medical attention.

April 9, 1:15 p.m. Officers responded to the second floor of the student services center regarding a theft report. A male student stated that he had been using a computer and left his cellphone unattended for a few minutes. When he returned to the computer he was using the cellphone was missing.

April 5, 8:30 a.m. An Officer observed a suspicious vehicle in parking Lot L. The officer ran the license plate and it returned stolen out of the LAPD Olympic Division. The Officer completed a stolen vehicle report and notified the LAPD. The vehicle was towed for safe keeping.