Police Beat, Feb.10-13

By Karen Garcia, Associate Editor

Feb. 13, 10:15 a.m. Officers received a call from a cadet working at the Bookstore. A subject in a wheel chair had been reported to have stolen a book and was headed south bound toward the Student Center. The officers contacted the subject and found that he had hid the book in the back of his wheel chair. An employee of the Bookstore positively identified the subject, the subject was then transported to the police department for booking. The subject was charged with petty theft.

Feb. 12, 12:10 p.m. Officers responded to the station on regards on a report of a stolen vehicle. A male student reported that he had parked his vehicle at 9 a.m. in the middle of Lot F in the parking structure. When his class ended the male student returned the parking spot at 11:30 a.m. and discovered the car was stolen. Officers checked the area and could not locate the car.

Feb. 12, 9 a.m. Officers responded to the facilities department regarding a report of a man with a gun. The victim was a male non-student. The suspect was reported to have a black 9mm handgun with a laser scope attached. The suspect had the gun pointed at the vas well as the laser pointed at the victim without verbal confrontation. Officers located the subject on the north side of Manhattan Beach Boulevard, north side of the Facilities Building. Officers conducted a felony stop and retrieved the hand gun from subject who was a non-student. The gun was a replica hand gun, an air soft gun. The victim arrived on scene and positively identified the subject and subject was then arrested. Subject was booked for exhibition and imitation of a firearm in a threatening manner.

Feb. 11, 3 p.m. Officers responded to reports of a female screaming. Officers arrived on the scene and located the female student. The female was having a verbal argument with her boyfriend. Officers contacted the male student and he confirmed that he and the female were verbally arguing but he did not physically abuse the female. The female just wanted her cellphone back. The officers returned the phone to the female and she did not want to press charges against the male. Both were referred to the Director of Student Development on account of their behavior.

Feb. 11, 12:30 p.m. Officers responded to the 3400 block of Manhattan Beach Boulevard adjacent to the Facilities Building regarding an auto burglary in process. The reporting party described the suspect as a black male dressed in all black clothing. The subject was testing doors meaning he was pulling the vehicle doors. The subject was located and detained. The officers then checked the remaining vehicles and searched for any burglar tools the suspect may have used. The officers had found that the subject had an open container of alcohol in his possession. The subject had a traffic warrant issued from the LAPD. The suspect was transported to the jail located at the El Camino Police Department. The suspect was then issued a citation for consuming alcohol in public and another citation for an outstanding warrant.

Feb. 10, 10:45 a.m. An officer issued a traffic stop on a vehicle for an equipment violation on Crenshaw and Redondo Beach Boulevard. The driver was a non-student with a suspended license and had an expired registration. The driver was then released.