Educating on crime prevention in a rape culture

Over the next few weeks, a lot will be said about the alleged rape that happened near campus.

There will be further reports from this paper on developing information in the investigation.

The students who are aware of the situation will discuss it among themselves. They will talk about whether or not they know the victim.

There may be an arrest. There may be a trial. There may even be a verdict.

No matter the outcome of this situation, there will always be the victim who suffered the trauma. She will have to relive the horror of her experience in every retelling of the story. Each time she has to answer a question about it, she will have to visualize the experience over and over again.

Her fellow female students and other women in the community will be cautioned. They will be given all kinds of advice on how not to be raped. Some of it will be good advice. Some of it will be misguided. All of it will be targeted at the very victims of this potential crime. None of it will be directed at potential suspects.

Why don’t we teach boys and men not to rape?

Why aren’t there classes telling men that no means no?

Why aren’t there classes explaining that a woman’s body is her own?

Where are the speeches about the violence involved in a sexual assault?

Why aren’t we given character profiles of what a rapist looks like?

It is 2015, and each time a situation like this happens classes, speeches, and workshops take place advising women on how to be aware of their surroundings.

We are encouraged to take self defense classes and carry pepper spray and mace.

We are advised to walk in groups at night.

Why aren’t the men taught to keep it in their pants?

Why aren’t the men taught to better handle their inner aggression so rape doesn’t happen?

Why aren’t we as a community taught to look out for one another?

Why do we say things “she shouldn’t have been by herself” and “her dress was too short” and “if she had been wearing pants this wouldn’t have happened” when the sad fact is that if it is going to happen, it’s going to happen no matter what she is wearing and no matter where she is?

In this instance, the victim came forward and reported the crime, but how many times have incidents like these gone unreported for fear of victim blaming and shaming?

When do we stop making victims accountable for being raped?

I propose we stop stigmatizing victims. Let’s make it OK to come forward and point out your assaulter.

Let’s stop pandering to patriarchy and recognize that women have value in this society that goes far beyond their beauty and sexual objectification.

Let’s stop trivializing rape. No one has it coming. No one deserves to be violated.

Let’s work to reverse misogyny.

Let’s stop focusing on the woman’s sexuality and start educating men on their own sexual self-expression.

Let’s stop being rape apologists when it comes to athletes, celebrities, and other people idolized in the media.

Let’s admit that street harassment is in and of itself a form of sexual aggression and sexual harassment. Let’s put an end to it.

Let’s take victims seriously when they report sexual crimes.

Let’s focus on ‘how not to rape’ vs ‘how not to be raped.’

Let’s get it right next time.